With Winter Break just around the corner, we thought we would share some easy tips on how to create balance during this time of much needed rest and relaxation.
- Enforce structured time limits to create more quality family time. Make sure the rules apply to everyone in the family, even the adults.
- Schedule daily tech time for the family. Gather their input on what devices they prefer, and allow some limited use.
- Plan device-free dinners. Put the phones and tablets away and don’t check them until dinner is over.
- Browse the app store together. Look for games and activities that everyone will enjoy. Get some good app recommendations from Common Sense.
- Involve your kids in the new device setup process and use that time to discuss responsible use of the new device.
- Plan a night of video games, movies or television shows the whole family can enjoy.
- Document your family memories and consider compiling them into online journals, cards and scrapbooks. This is a perfect time to share your own holiday memories with your kids.
- Kids learn their media habits partly from their parents. Use quiet time to reflect on ways you can maximize the benefits of technology without letting it take over your family’s life.
We hope these tips help create a positive tech environment and more balance in your house this holiday season!